Scotland launches offshore wind leasing round
Crown Estate Scotland has launched the up to 10GW ScotWind offshore wind leasing round, the first in Scottish waters for a decade.
The multi-billion pound investment opportunity will form a major part of Scotland’s green recovery.
ScotWind enables companies at the cutting edge of offshore renewables to apply to build Scotland’s new generation of offshore wind farms and help power the transition to a net zero future. Some highlights include:
- Total investment in ScotWind Leasing projects could potentially surpass £8bn
- ScotWind could deliver more than enough green electricity to power every Scottish household
- Over 6 million tonnes of CO2 could be saved per year
- Measures included to promote and enhance the supply chain to help ensure projects can be developed
It’s anticipated that ScotWind will significantly increase the amount of power generated from offshore renewables, a major step towards meeting the Scottish Government’s target of Scotland being net zero by 2045.
As part of any lease application, developers will have to submit a supply chain development statement, outlining how they plan to engage with and utilise supply chain to successfully develop their projects. It will include:
- Information on the geographical location of supply chain activity
- Evidence relating to how their plan can be fulfilled
Lynsey Shovlin, Supply Chain Partner for Forth and Tay Offshore, said: "ScotWind represents one of the most significant projects ever undertaken in Scotland. As a Cluster, Forth and Tay Offshore will work closely with partners to promote opportunities for our local supply chain members who will be integral to the successful development of ScotWind projects."
Forth and Tay Offshore represents 137 members from across Scotland. Registration is free with benefits including a listing on the supply chain database, events, industry updates, networking and business opportunities. Click here to become a member.
More information on how ScotWind Leasing will work can be found here.